Moving Tips and Check List
One Month Before Moving
- Fill out a Post Office change of address form.
- Fill out an IRS change of address form.
- Call about change of home insurance policies
- Notify schools of change of address
- Make a list of everything you're taking to your new home.
- Make copies of your medical and dental records.
- Moving out of state? Learn about auto licensing and insurance.
- Moving locally? Learn about changing address on driver's license.
- Arrange to disconnect gas, electric and other utilities.
- Make arrangements to connect utilities at your new place.
One week before moving
- Plan to carry valuable documents/jewelry in your car
- Return borrowed library books and videos.
- Get rid of all flammables.
- Arrange what you're taking with you in the car or plane.
- Pack a bag with clothes & toiletries for first day at home.
- Pack your personal belongings except for your alarm clock.
- Go to sleep early. You'll be glad of it tomorrow.
- Collect all keys to locked items. Put them in a safe place.
- Be at home when the movers arrive to sign an inventory list.
- Walk around with the crew chief while he does the inventory.
- Make sure everything's been readied for the move.
- Keep the signed Bill of Lading in an accessible place.
- Check the driver has the correct delivery address and phone.
- Confirm the expected delivery time with the driver.
- Before you leave, do a final walkthrough of every room.